When a family is reeling from a loved one’s death because of the negligence, recklessness, or willful misconduct of another, money may be the last thing on their mind. Unfortunately, if you’ve faced funeral expenses, medical expenses, and the lost income provided by your deceased beloved, it’s never too soon to seek the services of a qualified wrongful death attorney. While no amount of money will heal your sorrow, at least knowing you and your family will be financially compensated can bring you some peace, ease your financial worries, and allow you to grieve properly.
Wrongful Death Claims For Surviving Loved Ones
When your beloved family member has been killed because of another’s reckless, negligent, or malicious misconduct, you may be entitled to a substantial monetary settlement for multiple compensable damages in Minnesota. The compensable damages possible for you to collect from a wrongful death include two distinct types of compensation—economic and non-economic losses. The following detail what the specific damages may include:
- Medical expenses and losses related to the wrongful death.
- Burial expenses.
- The financial support that would have been contributed by the decedent during his life.
- The reasonable value of household services that would have provided
- The appropriate value of household assistance that the decedent would have provided, including shared childcare.
- The loss of benefits the decedent may have provided.
- Costs of property damage and/or replacement.
Wrongful Death Damages in Minnesota
When a Jury is Asked to Award Damages in a Wrongful Death Case, They are Asked to Consider Several Factors (CIV JIG 91.75):
- Their contributions in the past
- Their life expectancy at the time of their death
- Their health, age, habits, talents, and success
- Their occupation
- Their past earnings
- Their likely future earning capacity and prospects of bettering themselves had they lived
- Their personal living expenses (cost of supporting a child)
- Their legal obligation to support (surviving spouse)(next of kin) and the likelihood that they would have fulfilled that obligation
- All reasonable expenses incurred for a funeral and burial (etc.), and all reasonable expenses for support due to their last sickness, including necessary medical and hospital expenses incurred after and as a result of the injuries causing death
- The probability of them paying any outstanding debts
- The counsel, guidance, and aid they would have provided claimants
- The advice, comfort, assistance, companionship, and protection that they would have given if they had lived
When a beloved family member dies, surviving loved ones lose the decedent’s love, comfort, affection, assistance, moral support, and guidance. It is very difficult to establish what this means monetarily. Using an experienced wrongful death attorney can help you establish the full extent of these items to convince an insurance company or jury what the proper measure of damages would be for the loss of your loved one. Nothing will be able to bring your special person back, and no amount of money will ever fully compensate you for your loss, but making sure you obtain the fullest extent of your damages will be the top priority of the attorneys at Sieben Edmunds Miller.
Personal Injury Law Services For Surviving Loved Ones
Sieben Edmunds Miller’s esteemed legal team has won awards for their success with wrongful death and personal injury claims. Because of our reputation as a premier wrongful death law firm, other lawyers and even judges refer injured people to us.
A Wealth Of Experience And Skills—Esteemed Personal Injury Lawyers
Sieben Edmunds Miller attorneys are fully equipped to fight for the financial compensation you deserve when a loved one is killed because of the recklessness and negligence of another. We have represented hundreds of surviving family members over 15 years and have won multi-million-dollar settlements because of another’s irresponsible conduct or malicious actions. As venerate Minnesota personal injury lawyers, we are dedicated to the aggressive pursuit of the monetary damages you are entitled to.
The award-winning attorneys at Sieben Edmunds Miller have a 10.0 Superb Avvo Rating and are recognized for their dedication to achieving their clients’ just results.
Our Minnesota Legal Team Will Shoulder Your Financial Burden
As you grieve the loss of your loved one, we’ll take on your financial worries so that you have the emotional space to mourn and regroup. Sieben Edmunds Miller’s law firm has the experience, knowledge, skills, financial resources, and support staff required to investigate and build a strong wrongful death lawsuit and hold the person or entity who caused your loved one’s death monetarily accountable.
At Sieben Edmunds Miller, we’ve represented countless surviving family members in wrongful death lawsuits. When a loved one was killed because of someone else’s recklessness, negligence, or intentional misconduct, family members, who meet certain criteria, may be lawfully entitled to monetary compensation. The types of wrongful death viable lawsuits may include deaths caused by, but not limited to, the following incidents:
- Car crashes
- Motorcycle wrecks
- Truck accidents
- Bus accidents
- Pedestrian collisions
- Airplane crashes
- Property accidents
- Slip, trip, and fall accidents
- Objects falling from heights
- Dangerous products and drugs
- Food poisoning
- Food allergies
- Toxic environment illnesses and injuries
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Medical malpractice
- Fetal and birth mishandling
- Domestic violence
- Child abuse
- Bullying induced suicide
Time Is Of The Essence When A Loved One Was Killed By Another’s Conduct
When you’re consumed by grief and shock, it’s daunting to think about the necessary logistics that must be followed if you are to be financially and justly compensated for their death. Because the Minnesota statute of limitations deadline to file a wrongful death claim is typically three years, it’s critically important that a thorough investigation of the circumstances surrounding the death ensues immediately for several of the following reasons:
- Evidence collection and preservation.
- Identifying and locating any witnesses while memories are fresh.
- Taking photos of the accident scene, if applicable
- Hiring medical experts, investigators, and accident reconstructionists.
- Depositions to preserve testimony
- Among other important components to build your case.
You’ll Never Pay Sieben Edmunds Miller A Penny Up-Front
With all the troubles already on your mind, the last thing you need is another bill. When we agree to take on your case, we cover all the expenses required to build your case. For Sieben Edmunds Miller, our singular focus is to protect your rights and win the compensation for the loss of your loved one that you so justly deserve. Only when you receive your money will we receive a pre-agreed percentage of your settlement. If we don’t collect compensation through an insurance company or civil court wrongful death lawsuit, you’ll owe us nothing for legal fees.
Minnesota’s Wrongful Death Statute Of Limitations Is Three Years
Because preparing a strong wrongful death case takes considerable time, it’s vitally important to begin immediately so our team can gain the upper hand over the offending party in insurance negotiations and/or a civil court wrongful death lawsuit.
As your wrongful death law firm, Sieben Edmunds Miller has the resources and skills necessary to conduct the required critical investigations to zealously battle powerful insurance company lawyers and/or the injuring party’s attorney.
Our office is located in the Twin Cities metro area and provides easy access for our clients in Minneapolis, Hastings, and Eagan. We also accept cases throughout Minnesota and Dakota County.
Contact Us For A Free Confidential Review Of Your Wrongful Death Matter
At no cost or obligation to you, our attorneys will meet with you to respectfully, and with great sensitivity, discuss what happened and assess the viability of an economic win for you and your family. To schedule your free meeting in our conveniently located office, call us now at 651.323.2464 or send us a confidential message on our notepad for a prompt response. Our phones answer 24/7.