Select Page

Can I go to Canada with a DWI Conviction?

by Apr 5, 2012DWI / DUI, Education, Sam Edmunds

For years this question has been one of interest for those who have been charged, convicted, or accused of DWI or DUI.  Fishing and hunting trips to Canada with family and friends is a favorite past-time of many Minnesotans and until recently, if you had a DWI conviction, you were generally denied entry to Canada for these activities.

Canadian tourism industry officials say the tightened border restrictions have resulted in thousands of American customers being turned away at the border, resulting in the loss of millions of dollars of revenue.  Because of this lost revenue, the Canadian tourism industry was able to pressure their government to develop a new policy which began March 1, 2012.   Under this new policy, people with one minor conviction can get a free Temporary Resident Permit to enter Canada.

Even though Canada has somewhat eased its restrictions on American’s with DWI’s, you still can be prevented from entering Canada based on just one DWI or DUI.   The new policy still leaves admission to the discretion of the border officer.   Additionally, this change in policy doesn’t give those with a DWI conviction an unlimited free pass; the Temporary Resident Permit is a onetime exemption for travel into Canada.

If you have been charged with a DWI or DUI and are worried about the implications a conviction could have on your travel to Canada it is imperative that you contact a knowledgeable DWI attorney today.  The right lawyer at your side could mean that you get to enjoy those family hunting and fishing trips for years to come.

Related Posts