Samuel Edmunds is recognized as being at the top of his field in criminal defense in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Earlier in his career, Sam spent over seven years as a criminal prosecutor in the twin cities metro area. Soon Sam realized he could better help people by defending those accused of a crime rather than prosecuting them. Sam has great success negotiating with prosecutors because he used to be one. This benefits his clients because Sam knows how to negotiate and how best to represent his clients in front of a judge. Knowing both sides of the law allows Sam to apply his passion for helping others directly to the work he does every day.
Sam is also a Board Certified Specialist in Criminal Law by the Minnesota State Bar Association, an honor held by less than 3% of Minnesota attorneys. In addition, he was elected in 2021 to become an officer of the Minnesota State Bar Association. That means that Sam will serve as the President of the Minnesota State Bar in 2024-25.
In 2018 and 2020, Sam won Attorney of the Year for his work in helping people clean up – and even expunge – criminal matters from their records. Sam believes there is no reason a criminal matter needs to haunt a person forever. Depending on the severity of the case, expungement is possible in as early as two-to-three years.
Sam has tried countless cases in courts around the State of Minnesota and consistently obtains positive results for his clients. Sam is licensed to practice in Minnesota and Wisconsin and represents clients throughout both states, and in federal court.
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Association Treasurer
- Assembly Member
- Board of Governors
- Elections & Appointments Committee – Past Chair
- Practice Management & Marketing Section – Past Chair
- New Lawyers Section – Past Chair
- Dakota County Bar Association – Past President
- Academy of Certified Trial Lawyers of Minnesota – Board of Directors
- Minnesota Society for Criminal Justice
- American Bar Association – House of Delegates
- American Bar Association Standing Committee on Continuing Legal Education
- American Bar Association Standing Committee on Specialization – Past Member
- Minnesota Supreme Court – Board of Legal Certification
- Minnesota Supreme Court – Board of Continuing Legal Education – Past Member
- Minnesota State Bar Foundation – Board of Directors
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Douglas Amdahl Inn of Court
- American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division – Past Conferences Director
- Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- Fellow of the Hennepin County Bar Foundation
- Named a Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers Publication, 2023
- Recognized as a North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association 2022
- Received 2022 Top Lawyers award from Minnesota Monthly
- Named Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer 2018, 2020
- Selected by The Best Lawyers in America (2021 & 2022 Edition)
- Selected by Super Lawyers as Rising Star, 2014 – 2020
- Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist, Minnesota State Bar Association 2015
- Award: ABA-YLD Outstanding Single Project, 2012 – 2013
- Named Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer 2010
- Here’s How Much Prison Time Derek Chauvin Facess, New York Post, April 2021
- Colleague Corner: Meet Samuel Edmunds, Bench & Bar of Minnesota, February 2021
- Sieben Edmunds Miller: Triple Advantage Advocacy, Attorney at Law Magazine, January 2020
- Good Question: How Often Do Mistrials Occur, And What Causes Them?, WCCO CBS Minnesota, April 2014
- Sam Edmunds Discusses Derek Chauvin Case, Court TV, February 2021
- State of Minnesota
- State of Wisconsin
- U.S. District of Minnesota
- William Mitchell School of Law
- Minnesota State University, Mankato
- Metropolitan State University
A Note From Sam…
Recent Blog Posts
Facing a strangulation charge can be a daunting and distressing experience. A conviction for strangulation has long-lasting impacts on both the defendant and their family members. If you’ve been accused of strangulation, you may wonder if it is possible for the...
Facing a DWI charge can be a stressful and overwhelming experience. But if you’ve found yourself charged with DWI, it's important to remember that a charge doesn’t automatically lead to a conviction. With the right legal representation and a solid defense strategy,...
Every driver in Minnesota must maintain valid car insurance coverage. Driving without insurance is not only illegal, but it can also lead to serious financial consequences in the event of an accident. In this blog post, we'll explore what happens if you're caught...
Work zones are an essential part of road maintenance and improvement projects. However, they can also be a source of frustration for drunk drivers. In Minnesota, we aren’t strangers to road construction. Our weather is to blame for many of the cracks and potholes that...
Being falsely accused of child sex abuse can be a devastating experience that can have a permanent impact on your personal and professional life. The court of public opinion doesn’t always wait until you’re found guilty to pass judgment, but having your charges...
Minnesota state legislators just released their proposal to legalize marijuana in the State of Minnesota. With DFL control of the House, Senate and Governor’s office, legalized marijuana is likely to become the law in some form. It still has hurdles to get through,...