Samuel is recognized as being at the top of his field in criminal defense in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Earlier in his career, Sam spent over seven years as a criminal prosecutor in the twin cities metro area. Soon Sam realized he could better help people by defending those accused of a crime rather than prosecuting them. Sam has great success negotiating with prosecutors because he used to be one. This benefits his clients because Sam knows how to negotiate and how best to represent his clients in front of a judge. Knowing both sides of the law allows Sam to apply his passion for helping others directly to the work he does every day.
Sam is also a Board Certified Specialist in Criminal Law by the Minnesota State Bar Association, a certification held by less than 3% of Minnesota attorneys. In addition, he was elected in 2021 to serve as the Secretary of the Minnesota State Bar Association. Having been elected Secretary, Sam will serve as the statewide association’s Treasurer and then President-Elect during the next two years, and then will serve as President of the state bar in 2024-25.
In 2018 and 2020, Sam won Attorney of the Year for his work in helping people clean up – and even expunge – criminal matters from their records. Sam believes there is no reason a criminal matter needs to haunt a person forever. Depending on the severity of the case, expungement is possible in as early as two-to-three years.
“Everything I do in my work with clients feeds my deep desire to help people. I look at my role as a criminal defense lawyer as helping my clients move confidently into the next phase of their life. If my client needs help with chemical dependency or mental health, I will refer them to the right experts.”
Sam has tried countless cases in courts around the State of Minnesota and consistently obtains positive results for his clients. Sam is licensed to practice in Minnesota and Wisconsin and represents clients throughout both states, and in federal court.
Before law school, Sam played in a local band where he sang and played the guitar. Sam still frequently gets roped in to be the appointed family wedding singer. He also holds advanced certification as an open water scuba diver and has enjoyed many dive trips to destinations like the Virgin Island, Honduras, and Vietnam. Sam has five kids ranging in age from newborn to 10-years-old. Sam and his wife Anna are very active in the lives of their children and Sam enjoys coaching his kids’ sports teams.
- Minnesota State Bar Association:
- Association Secretary
- Assembly Member
- Governing Council Member
- Elections & Appointments Committee – Past Chair
- Practice Management & Marketing Section – Past Chair, Treasurer
- New Lawyers Section – Past Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, Secretary
- Dakota County Bar Association – President
- Academy of Certified Trial Lawyers of Minnesota – Board of Directors
- Minnesota Society for Criminal Justice
- American Bar Association – House of Delegates
- American Bar Association Standing Committee on Specialization
- Minnesota Supreme Court – Board of Continuing Legal Education
- Minnesota State Bar Foundation Board of Directors
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Douglas Amdahl Inn of Court
- American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division – Past Conferences Director
- Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- Fellow of the Hennepin County Bar Foundation
- Named Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer 2018, 2020
- Selected by The Best Lawyers in America (2021 & 2022 Edition) in the category of DUI / DWI Defense
- Selected by Super Lawyers as Rising Star, 2014 – 2020
- Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist, Minnesota State Bar Association 2015
- Award: ABA-YLD Outstanding Single Project, 2012 – 2013
- Named Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer 2010
- Here’s How Much Prison Time Derek Chauvin Facess, New York Post, April 2021
- Colleague Corner: Meet Samuel Edmunds, Bench & Bar of Minnesota, February 2021
- Sieben Edmunds Miller: Triple Advantage Advocacy, Attorney at Law Magazine, January 2020
- Good Question: How Often Do Mistrials Occur, And What Causes Them?, WCCO CBS Minnesota, April 2014
- Sam Edmunds Discusses Derek Chauvin Case, Court TV, February 2021
State of Minnesota
State of Wisconsin
U.S. District of Minnesota
- William Mitchell School of Law
- Minnesota State University, Mankato
- Metropolitan State University
A Note From Sam…
Recent Blog Posts
Receiving a speeding ticket may not be quite as severe as some of the criminal defense charges we defend our clients against, but it’s inconvenient nonetheless. No one wants an offense on their record because they were driving just a few miles per hour over the limit....
Charges such as assault, domestic assault, strangulation, and threats of violence are jarring to receive. These are serious, fact-specific charges that should always be handled by a Minnesota assault criminal defense lawyer. The stakes in an assault case are...
During the pandemic, Sieben Edmunds Miller’s criminal defense attorneys wanted to do their part to give back to the local community. As experienced criminal defense lawyers, Kevin Sieben and Samuel Edmunds are quite knowledgeable in expungement law. They’ve seen...
We’re excited to share that the Minnesota State Bar Association’s publication for members of the legal field, Bench & Bar of Minnesota, interviewed our own Sam Edmunds in its recent “Colleague Corner” feature. Each month, the publication highlights one local...
We all know the feeling of dread when you see those flashing police lights in your rearview mirror. Even if you haven’t done anything wrong, you start to question yourself. Unfortunately, even when you obey all traffic laws, you may end up with a traffic ticket. The...
Sieben Edmunds Miller PLLC is excited to announce that we will offer Free criminal expungement legal services to those who have lost their job due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Thousands of Minnesotans live under a cloud because of a past mistake. While many individuals...